Friday, January 27, 2012

Time to Enjoy the Little Things . . .


Ok, so this weekend I am SO jealous of my husband. He gets the whole house to himself!! He can sleep in, take the dog for a walk, sit outside and read, whatever he wants. JEALOUS!!

But the truth is, he should be jealous of me. Granted, I will be camping with 100 Girl Scouts, sleeping in a spider-filled cabin, having to walk 1/2 mile to the closest bathroom but I get to make memories and see moments being created. See the thing is, I am a Girl Scout leader of 14 Junior Girl Scouts. For the past 8 years, I have lead a GS troop (3 of those years, I had 2 troops at the same time!). My oldest daughter, now 13, no longer has a troop but still participates in scouting events as a Juliette (independent Scout). I started her troop when she was in 1st grade, built the troop up to 22 girls (way too many!!) and we closed that troop with 4 girls this past fall. I didn't realize how much I would miss seeing those girls on a weekly basis.

So my current troop has 16 girls, 14 who are camping, and I am going to stop at some point during this weekend, in between hauling girls to the bathroom at 3 a.m., looking for the owner to the Justin Bieber underwear laying on the floor of the cabin and making sure no one runs and trips over a stump, to truly enjoy and appreciate being able to do this for my girls, just like my mom did for me.



My husband doesn't get to watch his daughters make S'mores tomorrow night, he doesn't get to watch them cook their own dinner over an aluminum made box-oven, he doesn't get to hear them singing their GS chants as we walk through the woods. He is a super dad, one of the best I know, and is very hands-on but he should be jealous of me this weekend! Hopefully, when my girls think back to this weekend, they will think about the fun moments, the time spent with friends and they will picture me there with them.

However, I do think my hubby should take the girls one weekend to make some of their own memories, preferably in the summer so I can float in the pool with a frozen drink and a good book, but that is for another post!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! These memories last forever! Have fun. I "almost" wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete