Tuesday, August 16, 2011

You Want Zebra Fur Where?

Ok, so I think I mentioned that my youngest daughter was getting her room redone for her 10th birthday. She decided she wanted lime green, black and zebra fur! Yes, she wanted it on the wall but I talked her out of that! Love her vision and out-of-the-box thinking (may get her farther on Design Star than I would get), didn't want to have to deal with fur on the walls - oh vay! So paint was going to be our friend. For a refresher, here's the before:




So we went with a lime green below the chair rail, high gloss black on the all the trim and white above.


I splurged on the Behr with Primer but it still took 2 coats, plus you were suppose to wait 24 hours in between coats, so sorry Home Depot but not gonna happen!! This impatient mom did not have that much time on her hands (please look away from the pink carpet on the ground. It's being changed next week!!)



The colors work nicely together. My husband was sad because of the pink leaving our house. Both girls rooms were pink at one time and now those little girls walls are covered up with other colors (but NO fur!).

The other thing we were trying to do to save some money is reuse furniture around the house or in the garage. Right now, we have about 12 pieces of furniture not in use. I plan to sell some of it one of these days (in my spare time!)! My daughter's room is small, with an even smaller closet, so we decided to give her as much storage in the room. I am a firm believer in "a place for everything and everything in it's place!" Wish my kids (and hubby) followed that! So we added a large dresser, that used to hold our TV in the family room (so much for saving money because now we will need a new TV stand - yeah, shopping!). So we took the old stand/dresser, painted it with the high gloss black and it looks great!



We also found a mirror in the garage that we had never used but came with the dresser. I pulled it out, cleaned it up and will paint it the lime green color. This will help her room to look bigger.


So that's where we stand right now. We are going to go shopping for some accessories and storage boxes that will complement the colors. I also have to assemble the 2, yes not 1 but 2, bookcases we ordered from Target on-line (again, the not spending money thing is just a concept to us!!).

It's starting to come together and our goal is to have it done before school starts on August 22!! Keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment